Let me back up a little- I saw this great idea for torch cupcakes in a recipe book about a year ago... sorry I don't remember the name of the cookbook, so I can't properly thank them for this wonderful idea. I thought I would tweak it a bit and share my creation with you all! I was THRILLED to find these adorable mini ice cream cones- I knew they would be the perfect size- I like a small cupcake I can just pop in my mouth all at once.
1 box of Confetti Cake Mix
60-70 mini ice cream cone cups
yellow food coloring
orange fruit roll-up (I used "cherry orange wildfire".... perfect for a flame!)
1. Make cake mix as instructed on the package. My first attempt at making these failed after this step when I added 200% more water than instructed. Nice, right? Since I wasn't feeling very well my sweet husband ran to the store and grabbed another confetti cake mix for me. Phew. I guess this is what I get for trying to be creative when I am sick!!
2. Place mini ice cream cones in a cake pan. I only used 2/3 of a cake mix and therefore ended up only using 40 cones. Don't ask me why I made it so complicated!!!
3. Fill ice cream cones with cake batter. I didn't fill them to the top- I would say each cone was about 75% full.
4. Bake as instructed on the cake mix box. For cupcakes I needed to bake mine for 18-20 minutes at 350 degrees. After about 23 minutes I pulled my little cupcakes out of the oven just SURE they were done- I mean, they were in the oven for longer than instructed and they were SMALL cupcakes. And I didn't use an entire cake mix. Well, they weren't done. The bottom of each of the cupcakes was nice and goopy. I didn't find that out until after they had cooled, and I checked to see how my little torches were doing and saw this:
5. Use yellow frosting or add yellow food dye to white frosting and frost away! Can you just see my poor cupcakes leaning over....sigh.
8.Give a cupcake to your eager four year old and watch her run around the kitchen holding her olympic torch. Wipe away the tears because you didn't give up and you were able to give your kiddo a few moments of sheer pleasure.