For those of you that have followed my blog for awhile you know that I absolutely LOVE the Montessori approach to teaching young children. The materials, the structure, the scope/sequence of activities... it makes my teacher heart sing! During the beginning stages of my Montessori experience I was on my own reading books from the library and googling Montessori activities and lessons to do with my toddler. While I found there were some good resources, I still felt like I had no clue what I was doing.
Until I had the opportunity to read John Bowman's Montessori at Home! book.
It is a one-stop shopping Montessori experience. John explores the world of Montessori by first explaining WHAT the Montessori approach is all about. Things like the three step lesson, how to choose activities for your child, and preparing/displaying/demonstrating learning materials. This was SO helpful for me as I was starting out!
After thoroughly introducing the Montessori approach, John lists several activities for the following areas:
Reading and Writing
Art and Music
Geography and Culture
This section of the book is filled with so many wonderful and detailed ideas to teach your child. Many of these activities use everyday items, which is great for those of us on a budget! When I first was given a hard copy of John Bowman's book last year, I marked so many pages of ideas and lessons to do with my little girl that my book ended up looking like this:
If THAT didn't convince you that this book is incredible, check out this list:
Top 10 Things I LOVE about Montessori at Home!
1. John Bowman was actually a preschool Montessori teacher and director. He also started three Montessori preschools! With those qualifications, I KNOW that he is very familiar with the Montessori method and the best way to teach it.
2. Montessori at Home has is a very well-rounded resource when it comes to Montessori activities. It doesn't just focus on sensorial activities or Maria Montessori- it has it all.
3. It is a very easy read with lots of pictures. There are also links to other materials- which makes having an eBook very convenient.
4. Did I mention there are lots of free printable materials at the end of this book? So you can start your Montessori experience right away!
5. I love the appeal this book has to ALL of us working with kids- whether you are a daycare provider, preschool teacher, tutor, home teacher, or a parent/grandparent. We can all read and glean ideas to better help our children understand their environment and master skills such as reading and math. And there is such a variety of activities that I am positive you will find ones that work for you and the children you work with!
6. As mentioned earlier, there are massive amounts of ideas. Many of these are collected from other amazing Montessori teachers and moms found in the blogosphere! I can tell that John has spent hours researching engaging activities and quality lessons for his book.
7. This is a GREAT resource for Montessori beginners- like me. I don't feel like I have to spend hours googling the different aspects of Montessori because it is all found here!
8. I love the fluid organization of this book. It's easy to locate information and the sequence of materials is logical and practical.
9. It is now available on pdf! Which I love for two reasons: first, there is no wait time for the book to come in the mail, and second, I can use my pdf reader to bookmark pages so I'm not going through as many post it notes! You can always print the book once you have received the pdf.
10. The price is CRAZY good! It only costs 8.95! An amazing deal if you think about how much it would cost to send your child to a Montessori school!!
I also have to add that our Montessori Jar is included in this book which I am pretty excited about!
Montessori at Home is partnered with another amazing site: Montessori Print Shop. This site has over 1,000 Montessori-based pdfs- some are free while the rest are available at a very reasonable price. There is a special bundle of resources that include activities from most areas of the Montessori at Home book.
GUESS WHAT??? Two lucky readers will get:
A free copy of the Montessori At Home! Second Edition eBook from John Bowman
The Montessori at Home! bundle of 21 printable materials from Montessori Print Shop.
And GUESS WHAT else? EVERYONE who enters will win a free download of the Mom Bloggers Talk Montessori eBook. Pretty cool!!
Want to win? Here's how:
Leave a comment and tell me your favorite learning activity you do with your kids!
You might be wondering, can I have extra entries? Why of course! (Just leave an additional comment for each of these)
Like the Home Teacher on Facebook
Like Montessori at Home! on Facebook
Like Montessori Print Shop on Facebook
Good Luck! The giveaway ends one week from today- Saturday, March 24, at 11:00 P.M. (Mountain Standard Time)
Good Luck! This is an amazing giveaway and I can't wait to see who wins!